Look your best, feel your best, Dance your best
The dress code and hair requirement is an extremely important tool for the correct development of technique and assists in preventing injuries. When the teacher can view the dancer’s body clearly, they are able to make subtle adjustments that may eliminate future problems and help avoid injuries.
Ballet and Jazz: female students must have their hair pinned back off their face and well-secured in a bun. If you need some bun-making tips please check out this video: https://youtu.be/4g1YqOq518I. If you do not have enough hair for a bun please speak to your teacher as to their suggestion for your hair.
Acro, Tap, Contemporary, Lyrical and Hip Hop: students must have their hair secured off their face in a ponytail, braid or bun that is neat with all fly-aways pinned or gelled back.
· Females: leather Ballet slippers that fit like a glove that fit like a glove, for all grades or levels. Typically “Ballet pink” is the color for light-skinned females and “The Movement Boutique” carries a wide range of shades for more diverse skin tones. Ballet shoes can also be purchased at Dance Essentials. (Ballet shoes purchased at Walmart and Superstore are not acceptable) Intermediate Foundation & above may have snug-fitting canvas slippers.
· Males: black leather Ballet slippers for dancers age 3-6yrs. White leather or canvas slippers for Grade 5.
· Black Character Shoes for Grades 1 through 5. (Bloch brand) Please check with your teacher before purchasing
· Pointe shoes for Intermediate Foundation and above: only at teacher’s discretion.
- Preschool Dance Level 1 & 2 and Pre-Primary/Primary classes – Pink body suit. Pink ballet skirt is optional (no tu-tus) or the Lilac suit from Grade 1.
- Grade 1 – Mondor Style: # 3546 or #1635 Royal Academy of Dance Sleeveless leotard; Color: Lilac
- Grade 2 & 3 – Mondor Style: 3546 Tactel/Lycra blend pinched front Royal Academy of Dance Leotard; Color Paradise (PR)
- Grade 4 & 5 – Mondor Style: 3546 Tactel/Lycra blend pinched front Royal Academy of Dance Leotard; Color Renaissa (RR)
- Intermediate Foundation, Intermediate I, Advanced –Mondor # 3505 Matrix Wide Strap; Color: Aubergine (4E) Dancers may wear the matching skirts for the more contemporary variation or a tutu for the classical variation
- Intermediate II — any color/style bodysuit
- Teen Barre Fitness — tight-fitting, solid-colored dance clothing. Ballet shoes not required.
Character Skirts may be required for R.A.D. Exams/Class Awards in Grades 1-5
Ballet tights required for all Ballet classes except Teen Barre Fitness. Typically “Ballet pink” is the color for light-skinned females and “The Movement Boutique” carries a wide range of shades for more diverse skin tones.
Please check with class instructor
Shoes: Black oxford type shoe for adults and teens, children should wear black low heeled shoe (1” or less)
Clothing: Females: Black bodysuit (or (R.A.D required bodysuit) with black leggings, shorts or jazz pants. May wear a tank top over body suit – any solid color. Males: black shorts, solid-colored, tight-fitting tank top.
Shoes: Females – Beige or brown Jazz shoes (soft) – split sole is preferred — in the color that most closely matches your skin tone. Males – black jazz shoes. Females in Inter+ Jazz may also require a heeled Jazz shoe.
Clothing: Females: Black body suit (or R.A.D required bodysuit) with Black jazz pants, leggings or shorts. May wear tank top over body suit – any color (no t-shirts). Males: black shorts, solid-colored, tight-fitting tank top
Shoes: Bare Feet
Clothing: Black body suit (or R.A.D required bodysuit) with Black jazz pants, leggings or shorts. May wear tank top over body suit – any color (no t-shirts)
Shoes: Bare feet
- Black Body suit (or R.A.D required bodysuit) , ¾ length black dance pant or legging, may wear tank top or thin long-sleeve shirt over body suit – any solid color (no t-shirts). Males: black shorts, solid-colored, tight-fitting tank top
Shoes: White, non-marking shoes only (no street shoes).
· Short sleeved, baggy t-shirt or tank (nothing tight)
· Sweat pants or shorts (if baggy shorts, mid-thigh spandex shorts must be worn underneath)
- Bare feet (thin socks or convertible tights recommended for practicing splits)
- Females: Black body suit, black leggings or spandex shorts, may wear tank top over body suit – any solid color (no t-shirts).
- Males: black shorts, solid-colored, tight-fitting tank top. Acro accelerated — all black only
Shoes: as required for the choreo style
Clothing: Females: as per instructor’s preference